If something happens to your Lockbox device, or you lose or forget your PIN code, you can always restore access to your funds with your 24-word recovery phrase.
Before you start
- Make sure you have your 24-word recovery phrase ready
- Verify your computer has:
- Windows 8+, macOS 10.8+, or Linux
- A USB port
- An internet connection
- Connect your Lockbox device with your Blockchain web wallet using the micro USB/USB cable.
- Press both buttons on the side of the device at the same time, as instructed on the Lockbox screen.
- When you see the prompt “Configure as new device?” press the left button located above the cancel icon.
- Press the right button located above the validation icon to confirm when prompted, “Restore a configuration?”
Choose a new PIN code
After this, you will be prompted to choose a new PIN code. To set your PIN:
- When you see the prompt “Choose a PIN code,” press both buttons on the side of the device.
- Choose the first digit of your PIN code by pressing the right and left buttons.
- Press both buttons at the same time to select the digit.
- Repeat the process until all digits of your PIN code are selected.
- Once finished, select the check icon (✓) and press both buttons simultaneously to enter the PIN code.
- Enter the PIN code again to confirm.
Set a secure PIN by:
- Choosing your own PIN code.
- Never using a device supplied with a pre-set PIN code or recovery phrase.
- The longer the code, the more secure your device. An 8-digit PIN code offers the maximum level of security.
Enter your recovery phrase
- Press the button on the right to choose the length of your recovery phrase. Choose 24. Press both buttons to confirm.
- Choose the first letter of Word #1 by pressing the right or left button. Press both buttons to select the letter.
- Select the second letter of Word #1. Repeat until the device shows suggested words to choose from.
- Choose Word #1 from the suggested words. Press both buttons to select it.
- Repeat the process for each word of your recovery phrase.
- Your Lockbox will display Your device is now ready if you've successfully entered your recovery phrase.
Keep in mind:
- Your 24-word recovery phrase is the key to accessing your funds without your PIN code. Do not give out your recovery phrase to anyone for any reason.
- Blockchain does not keep a backup of your 24-word recovery phrase. If you lose this, we cannot reset or recover your backup phrase.
- Never use a device pre-supplied with a recovery phrase and/or PIN code.
If your recovery phrase is not valid
- Make sure the correct recovery phrase length (24 words) is selected. Always enter all words of a recovery phrase.
- Verify that the order of the words entered on the device matches the order written on your Recovery sheet.
- Check that all the words of your recovery phrase are on the BIP39 word list.